Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Night Out

My lovely girlfriend Alicia offered to watch our son Jackson so that we could go out for a date tonight. It's my husband's birthday tomorrow, so we were pretty excited about the opportunity to have a little celebration as adults. So we got all fancied up and left Jackson home with Alicia. Tonight is the first time in Jackson's life that we have had someone other than family watch him.
Here is a picture of my hubby Brandon and I. Excited about our date! We decided to go to an infamous restaurant in town. It's called the Steak Salon. When you're told about it, it's almost as if you've just heard a secret, like it should be whispered because of how special it is. It's very pricey but worth every penny. It's also very small inside but well known as one of the best places to eat. Inside the restaurant, the walls are covered with pictures of the chef with captains and admirals and entire squadrons from the Navy. All of them have visited the steak salon and by word of mouth over the years, this tiny hole in the wall has made quite the name for itself. It's not a place to take kids, so we had never been before tonight. And after our amazing food experience, I can't imagine us not going back again and again. I will now take you on a journey through the most amazing meal I've ever eaten.
First course: soup. It was like a golden corn and onion puree with a buttery flavor. Rich and creamy. It was simple yet delicious. And at that point I couldn't wait to see what they served next.
Second course: salad. Mixed greens and shredded cabbage, exotic fruits, and topped with seared scallops. The dressing was fantastic. I had a hard time not licking the bowl after I finished. Brandon said he wants to eat this salad everyday for the rest of his life he loved it so much.
Meanwhile as we are eating, we are watching our chef cook. He was this adorable older Japanese man that had a warm smile and kind eyes. He was at home in his space and worked his kitchen like he'd been doing it by muscle memory for years. He took out a side of beef and cut our steaks from it. And we watched him saw through the meat in amazement, like he was the greatest chef we'd ever seen. Because he was. Our table was in a horseshoe shape with the kitchen in the middle. He was cooking our meals in a tiny kitchen on this little stove with cast iron pans. It was so much fun to watch. As he worked we watched, and sat close together as we chatted about all of the delightful things he was creating. What a romantic thing to share.
Third course: main dish. Steak, so tender you didn't need a knife. Potatoes, boiled, but they also had a crisp crust on them like they had been pan fried. Carrots, steamed, but so sweet it was like having an after dinner treat. Green beans, fresh out of the garden. Our steak was topped with roasted garlic, and the pan dripping sauce. The sauce was rich and fragrant with wine and garlic. It was so beautifully presented. Brandon and I got the same meal and as we ate we would moan and comment on the tenderness of the steak or the flavor of the sauce and the sweetness of the carrots. I cannot describe to you the flavor of this meal. All I can say is that it was an experience I have never had. One that I want to relive. Funny how food can make you feel so much.
Fourth course: dessert and coffee. A small scoop each of vanilla ice cream and orange sorbet, with a vanilla custard covered in a creamy orange sauce. It tasted like summer. Citrus and cream is one of my favorite flavors. It was a delightful way to end our meal. When we left, we felt extremely satisfied, but also wanting more. Brandon mentioned that we will be visiting there again soon. And I'll have to agree. You can't have a meal that good and not go back for more. Our evening together was splendid and when we returned home, Jackson was more than excited to see us. Which really is the perfect way to end a date night. Tomorrow is Brandon's actual birthday and Jackson and I will be cooking him a special dinner to enjoy here at home. And I just know that as we sit down to eat our Cornish game hens, I will be dreaming of that wonderful steak.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

How fun! Glad you had a fabulous night out!!

The Gardner Family said...

Date Nights are so important. I want to go to this place so bad, but it would literally cost us an arm and a leg to get there.. live it up for me next time you go back!!

b.marie said...

Wow! That looks so delicious! Maybe you can talk your little Japanese chef into moving to Aberdeen. : )

I'm glad you had a date night! I thinks it's so important!

b.marie said...

Ps. Thanks for the pictures! : )