Thursday, April 15, 2010

10 Things I Love About Japan

1.) The People. The nicest, most respectful people you will ever meet make up the country of Japan. I am constantly amazed at how genuine they are.

2.) Gyoza. The food here in general is wonderful. But I am especially fond of Gyoza. (It's like a potsticker/dumpling for those who have no idea what it is)

3.) The 100 Yen Store. There are literally hundreds of them here in our town, kind of like Starbucks in Seattle. They have the greatest things and gadgets I've ever seen, and only for 100 yen.

4.)Flags/Banners. I grew up with a mom that loved windsocks and the concept of them makes me smile. So the fact that these people will find any reason to celebrate and then hang flags or banners all over the city....it just feels like fun to me.

5.) Parades. I swear that they really do celebrate everything. They stop everything they do to have a party. And along with their banners, they have huge colorful parades through the middle of town. I do love a good party.

6.) Musical chimes. People in this country also love a little musical ditty. When their clocks strike on the hour a little song plays and you can hear it through the neighborhood. Everyday at 5pm my neighbor's clock plays "Edelweiss" with a sort of flutey sound. It's so beautiful that I look forward to 5 pm everyday. Edelweiss, is my favorite song from Sound of Music.

7.) The differences. It's a very different culture here in Japan. Some things serious, some things silly, all of them fascinating. I like that it's different. The fact that business men in suits ride mopeds through town with their brief case bungee tied to the side, makes me giggle a little. And the Japanese Tea Ceremony is spectacular to watch. All things I never would have gotten to see had I not been here.

8.) Scenery. It's beautiful here. Like a tropical paradise. Lush with gardens and flowering trees and greenery. Truly amazing for the eye to behold.

9.) At your own risk. In the states it seems you can't do anything without the possibility of being sued. Here in Japan it's different. You can do things that you would never be allowed to do in the states. For example, play with the monkeys and kangaroos at the zoo.

10.) Work ethic. The people here work hard. And they are happy to do so. They are grateful for the job they have. That alone often makes me think twice before I complain.

1 comment:

BrittanyMarie said...

It would be fun to visit! I think you should give us a tour of Japan via photos of all things awesome!