Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Perfect Potato Salad

Last night we attended a BBQ at a friends house. Potato salad was on the menu along with various other picnic eats. Have you ever had a potato salad that was out of this world? One that you compare all other salads to. I've had salads that were bad and I've had salads that were so-so, normally the case at such functions.

Potato salad is like a summer anthem for my mouth. When I eat it, it's so much more than just a salad. My mind explores things that were almost lost. For me, It brings back memories of summer fun as a kid. Running through the Sprinkler, Sidewalk Chalk and Popsicles, an afternoon game of Frisbee in the yard. It's a food that is often paired with other summer foods I enjoy. BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, and sweet tea. When the flavors of summer explode on your taste buds, it's not just food, it's an experience.

So last night left me wanting more. A bolder potato salad. With flavor bursting at the seams. The perfect concoction. I woke up this morning with a fierce desire to make that salad. House work?? What's that?? I was on a mission. And so as my son played at my feet, I began my journey, to make the perfect potato salad.

I began with 5 small potatoes. This is a marathon not a sprint. I am starting small.
5 hard boiled eggs
2 dill pickles, diced
1/4 onion, diced small. I like a little crunch not a big one.
2/3 cup Mayo
3 Tbs. Mustard
Season to Taste. Included: Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Dill, Paprika
Secret Ingredient: 1/2 cup homemade (good seasons) Italian dressing. Made with red wine vinegar. I marinate the potatoes in the dressing after they are cooked, cooled in the fridge until potatoes are cold. When the potatoes are cold I mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Then I do a taste test to see if it needs anything else. The dressing really gives it a kick of flavor.

After my salad is complete I survey the damage that has been done by my son. There is crushed cereal on my kitchen floor, he is covered in chocolate, from eating chocolate chips out of the bag, and there are juice boxes spread through out my kitchen all with the straws removed. My laundry still isn't done, and my kitchen is a mess now. But at least we have a delicious potato salad to eat with our chicken sandwiches for lunch. And really what's better than that?? I waited until he went down for a nap before I served myself a small scoop to try. Not bad for my first run. But I will continue trying to perfect my skill. I will eventually concoct the perfect potato salad. And I will be ready. Let summer begin!

2 comments:

BrittanyMarie said...

i love kenny's potato salad. it's the best and i'm trying to convince to learn how to make it. i'm craving it now!

Tiffany said...

Yummy! Had to laugh at how the kitchen looked in the end...especially the juice boxes. Oh yes, that's exactly how it happens. Now you've got me thinking of potato salad...and watermelon.