Monday, May 3, 2010

Ra-Ra-Ramen

Feeding a toddler isn't always easy. And I'm one of the lucky ones. My son will eat just about anything I give him. I've never really had a problem getting him to eat his veggies. I love to cook. I love to create new things. And recently I've come up with a new idea that is super easy and quick for his lunches.

Jackson loves ramen. He loves to slurp up the noodles. He wants it everyday. He will get in the pantry and bring me a package of ramen. In Japan, it's everywhere and inexpensive. However a regular package of ramen is not as healthy as we'd all like it to be. The seasoning pack has more sodium than you should have in a week. And besides, who could eat the same thing everyday?? Apparently my son, but I do like to mix it up a little.

So I came up with a few ideas. Instead of making ramen with broth, I drain out the water. It's certainly easier to eat that way. I mix in a little olive oil and I season it myself. Then depending on my mood I add different things to make it yummy. I make taco ramen, with ground turkey taco meat, add in some tomatoes, avocados, and cheese. I make southwest ramen, with corn, black beans, and tomatoes. Japanese ramen, peas and carrots, scrambled eggs, and diced up chicken with a little soy sauce. Broccoli and ham. Turkey and cheddar. The possibilities are endless. I never realized how versatile it was.

He doesn't eat it everyday, although I know he could. But it does make things easier to have a go to meal when I run out of ideas. I thought I'd share it with all of you moms who just can't stand the thought of making one more PBJ sandwich.

No comments: